Onassis Cultural Centre
The Onassis Cultural Centre is a large complex with a number of stages and halls, hosting theater, dance, and music performances as well as art exhibits and installations. The main amphitheater can seat 880 people, and has the technology to support large-scale theatrical and dance performances and cinema screenings. Remarkable during the day, the building glows from within in the evening when performances are scheduled and is one of the most captivating along the main Leoforos Syngrou thoroughfare. Take in a performance or art exhibition while visiting the capital for a glimpse of contemporary Greek culture in this ancient city.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Dress code for most evening performances is smart casual, though casual attire is fine for daytime art exhibitions .
- The auditorium is completely accessible to wheelchair users.
- Check the cultural center’s website to check upcoming events and order tickets.
- The rooftop restaurant and café serves drinks and snacks against the panoramic backdrop of the Acropolis, Philopappos monument, and the Saronic Gulf.
How to Get There
The cultural center is located along the Leoforos Syngrou and there are a number of buses and trolley lines that stop nearby. If arriving by car, the center has an internal parking garage.
When to Get There
The center often hosts evening concerts and performances, including contemporary music and dance. During the day, the many exhibition spaces are used for art and sculpture exhibits. Check the schedule to book tickets in advance for upcoming events.
Culture for All In addition to its high-profile concerts, dance, and art performances, the Onassis Cultural Centre often hosts free events as part of the mission to make contemporary art and culture accessible to all. Check the center’s website for schedules of upcoming lectures, art exhibitions, and other performances that are open to the public at no charge.
- Things to do in Olympia
- Things to do in Santorini
- Things to do in Izmir
- Things to do in Kusadasi
- Things to do in Selçuk
- Things to do in Kos
- Things to do in Bodrum
- Things to do in Marmaris
- Things to do in Ohrid
- Things to do in Rhodes
- Things to do in Sarigerme
- Things to do in Pamukkale
- Things to do in Peloponnese
- Things to do in Cyclades Islands
- Things to do in Aegean Coast
- Philopappos Hill (Filopappou)
- Ilias Lalaounis Jewelry Museum
- Acropolis Museum (Museo Akropoleos)
- Odeon of Herodes Atticus (Odeio Irodou Attikou)
- Theatre of Dionysus
- Arch of Hadrian
- Choragic Monument of Lysicrates
- Temple of Olympian Zeus (Naós tou Olympíou Diós)
- Agora of Athens
- Dora Stratou Greek Dances Theater
- Frissiras Museum