While the objects on display in the museum make it worth visiting alone, it’s not a bad idea to spend some time wandering the grounds to take in the detail of the structures themselves, particularly the recently renovated Museum Theatre. Several sculptures and old cannons can be found scattered between and around the main buildings. Many tours stop here, and an architecture-focused tour may be worth considering if you’re particularly into learning about the influences behind local design.
Recent reviews from experiences in Chennai
Things to Know Before You Go
- The Government Museum is a must-visit for those interested in Indian art or architecture.
- Use of still or video cameras cost extra.
- Discounted admission is available for students and children.
- Much of the museum is wheelchair accessible.
How to Get There
The Government Museum is located right in the Egmore neighborhood of Chennai and it’s usually not too hard to get a taxi or auto-rickshaw in the area. It’s also well-connected to public transportation, and both the Nehru Park and Egmore Metro stations are about a 25-minute walk from the museum.
When to Get There
The museum is open every day of the week except for Friday, and you may want to come in the morning, right when it opens to avoid the crowds, especially if you’re visiting on a weekend. Check ahead of your visit to see about any performances taking place in the Museum Theatre.
The Museum Theater One of the highlights of the Government Museum complex is the Museum Theatre, built in1896 and modeled after London's Globe Theatre. The theater has since undergone renovations, though it still holds much of its historic flair. Today there are all sorts of plays, lectures, and cultural performances, many of which are open to the public.
- Things to do in Tamil Nadu
- Things to do in Pondicherry
- Things to do in Thanjavur
- Things to do in Bangalore
- Things to do in Jaffna
- Things to do in Madurai
- Things to do in Coimbatore
- Things to do in Anuradhapura
- Things to do in Tuticorin
- Things to do in Kochi
- Things to do in Goa
- Things to do in Northern Sri Lanka
- Things to do in Kerala
- Things to do in Sigiriya
- Things to do in Central Sri Lanka
- National Art Gallery
- Ripon Building
- Valluvar Kottam
- Little Mount & St Thomas Mount (Chinnamalai & Parangi Malai)
- Kapaleeshwarar Temple
- Fort St. George
- St. Mary’s Church
- Luz Church (Shrine of Our Lady of Light)
- Marina Beach
- George Town
- Armenian Church
- San Thome Cathedral
- Madras High Court
- St. Andrew’s Church (The Kirk)