Top Edinburgh Archaeology Tours
Saved to wishlist!
16 results | All Edinburgh Tours
Embark on an enriching 3.5 or 7-hour walking tour of Edinburgh’s cultural and historical highlights with a private guide. While you listen to insightful commentary, you’ll visit iconic landmarks and hidden gems according to an itinerary tailored to your interests. Explore the cobbled streets of the Old Town, gaze at Edinburgh Castle on its rocky perch and ascend to the summit of Calton Hill for panoramic city views. On this private tour, you’ll receive the undivided attention of your guide while gaining unique insight into the Scottish capital.
Experience Scotland’s amazing history, nature and people on this 5-day Orkney and Highlands tour from Edinburgh. Gaze over the Wallace Monument and the Vale of Mentieth from Stirling Castle. Travel through Glen Coe to Loch Tulla and visit Inverlochy Castle near Fort William. Experience the Highlands’ capital — Inverness — and watch for native puffins, seals and whales on the ferry from Gills Bay to Orkney. Discover prehistoric treasures in Orkney including the Ness of Brodgar and the Stone Circles of Stenness. Visit the Culloden Battlefield and the pretty town of Pitlochry.
Discover the majesty of rural Scotland on this 5-day Hebrides and Highlands tour from Edinburgh. Travel into the Scottish Hebrides with a guide and gain insight into the country’s rich culture and heritage. Take in sites including Dunrobin Castle, Glen Coe, Loch Ness and the Callanish Standing Stones. Discover the capital of the Highlands — Inverness — and admire the region’s peaks and valleys. Take the ferry to the Isle of Lewis for fine coastal views, explore the white sands of Luskentyre Beach and watch for seals on the Butt of Lewis.
See the best of medieval yet modern Edinburgh on this walking tour with optional skip-the-line access to Edinburgh Castle. As you walk, listen as your guide shares the history of this formidable city with ancient Roman roots and UNESCO-listed pockets. Explore atmospheric cobbled walkways along the Royal Mile, breeze into Edinburgh Castle to witness royal opulence (if option selected), and pass iconic locations like St. Giles Cathedral, Parliament Square, and John Knox House.
Take a personalized tour from Edinburgh to Loch Ness on this day trip to the Scottish Highlands. See wooded lochs and tucked-away villages as you journey through spectacular scenery en route to Glencoe and Fort Augustus. Enjoy an optional boat tour in search of the Loch Ness Monster and traverse the picturesque Cairngorms National Park. Travel in a top-of-the-range, 16-seat Mercedes mini-coach with a small group limited to 16 passengers.
Travel from Edinburgh to St. Andrews and Fife on this day trip from Edinburgh. Cross the Forth Road Bridge into the Kingdom of Fife and pass by the coastal villages of East Neuk. Then pay homage to the town of St. Andrews, home to Scotland's oldest university and the Old Course where golf is routinely played. Driving in a top-of-the-range, 16-seat Mercedes mini-coach, see Falkland and the Lomond Hills. Enjoy a small-group tour, limited to 16 people, for a memorable and personalized experience.
Journey through Edinburgh’s grisliest tales on a haunted walking tour. Experience the ghastly histories of monsters, madness, and murder that cast a dark shadow on the capital city. Discover the stories and sites of witch trials, pagan rituals, and executions, and hear about local monsters that live in urban myth. Then visit the chilling Old Calton Burial Ground or Canongate Kirkyard cemetery to learn about body-snatching and some of the infamous interred.
Delve into Scotland’s rich history and heritage on this 1-day Rosslyn Chapel, Dunfermline Abbey and Stirling Castle tour from Edinburgh. Head from the Royal Mile over the UNESCO–listed Forth Bridge to Dunfermline with a guide, and explore the Abbey Kirk — burial place of Robert the Bruce. See where the Battle of Bannockburn raged and learn of Scotland’s struggle for independence. Take in top local attractions including Stirling Castle. Then, visit Rosslyn Chapel before returning to Edinburgh.
Edinburgh is known for its dark past, and this evening walking tour is the original one to showcase the city's historically sinister and spooky side. Discover the hidden ‘wynds’ (alleys) and closes of the Old Town as you learn their mysteries and horrors; visit the ghost-ridden Greyfriars Kirkyard; and explore the city’s underground vaults to uncover their spirits and secrets. Your tour is led by a creepily costumed guide.
This 'Harry Potter' walking tour gets fans closer to spots in Edinburgh that inspired J.K Rowling’s famous books. Walk past key sites that inspired places such as Diagon Alley, and even see the cafes and hotels where the writer wrote her book series. Your guide knows the quickest ways to get around the city on foot to fit more into your time, as well as fun facts about Harry Potter.
Explore famous landmarks and hidden secrets in Edinburgh on this walking tour. Explore Edinburgh’s famous Royal Mile with a guide, and gain insight into famous writers and inventors who have called the city home. Hear tales of Scotland's national bard—Robert Burns—and discover top landmarks such as St. Giles’ Cathedral and the National Galleries of Scotland. Capture Edinburgh through the eye of your camera as you go, and find out what makes this ancient city tick.
The Waverley Pub is one of Edinburgh’s most popular drinking establishments and stocks a huge variety of Scotch whisky. On this tasting tour, sample four single malt whiskies from four different whisky-producing regions of Scotland, uncover the secrets of Scotch whisky-making, and experience the Scottish tradition of storytelling.
Explore the stunning Scottish Highlands on a full-day excursion that includes Glencoe and Loch Ness. Set own from Edinburgh aboard a comfortable coach bus to experience some of the area's top sights and attractions. Visit to Callander "Gateway to the Highlands", learn the fascinating history of Glencoe—a village made modernly famous as a setting for 'James Bond' and 'Harry Potter' films—and opt to take a boat cruise upon iconic Loch Ness, keeping an eye out for the famous 'Nessie' as you go.
See the best of Scotland in one action-packed day on this Glencoe, Loch Ness and the Highlands tour from Edinburgh. Pass Stirling Castle on route to Kilmahog with a guide, then continue through Rannoch Moor to the soaring Highland peaks of Glen Coe. Head along the banks of Loch Linnhe to Fort William and gaze over Ben Nevis — Scotland’s highest mountain. Enjoy free time to explore Loch Ness and learn the famous legend of Nessie! Pass by Inverness, then travel through the mighty Grampian Mountains to Edinburgh.
Explore a sinister side of Edinburgh on this late-night ghost walking tour that includes the Blair Street Vaults under South Bridge. Stroll mysterious alleyways as you listen to your guide’s grim and ghastly tales of treason and torture. Then venture underground for a candlelight tour of the 18th-century chambers and hear haunting stories of supernatural forces lingering in the city's darkest corners.
Tales of battle, William Wallace and the bonnie banks of Loch Lomond. Whether you love history or want to see the spectacular countryside, this tour has it all. Plus a sample of world-famous whisky to finish off with. On this tour, you’ll get to experience the beauty of Central Scotland and everything it has to offer.
Price varies by group size
Price varies by group size
Frequently Asked Questions
The answers provided below are based on answers previously given by the tour provider to customers’ questions.
What are the best Archaeology Tours in Edinburgh?
The best Archaeology Tours in Edinburgh according to Viator travelers are:
What Archaeology Tours in Edinburgh are taking additional safety precautions?
These Edinburgh experiences are providing additional COVID-19 safety measures:
- Guided Edinburgh Private Walking Tour
- Small Group Royal Mile Walking Tour with Optional Entry to Edinburgh Castle
- Loch Ness, Glencoe and the Highlands Small-Group Day Tour from Edinburgh
- St Andrews & the Fishing Villages of Fife Small-Group Day Tour from Edinburgh
- Edinburgh Darkside Walking Tour: Mysteries, Murder and Legends
What Archaeology Tours in Edinburgh are good for avoiding crowds?
These hidden gems in Edinburgh may have limited interaction with crowds:
- Art & Culture
- Arts & Design
- Archaeology Tours
- Cultural Tours
- Historical Tours
- Literary Tours
- Pop Culture
- Audio Guides
- Likely To Sell Out
- Outdoor Activities
- Tours, Sightseeing & Cruises
- Classes & Workshops
- Food & Drink
- Seasonal & Special Occasions
- Tickets & Passes
- Travel & Transportation Services
- Unique Experiences
- Camera Obscura and World of Illusions Tours & Tickets
- Gladstone’s Land Tours & Tickets
- Scottish National Gallery of Modern Art Two (Dean Gallery) Tours & Tickets
- Scottish National Portrait Gallery Tours & Tickets
- Royal Observatory Tours & Tickets
- Edinburgh Cruise Port at Leith Tours & Tickets
- Ocean Terminal Tours & Tickets
- Royal Yacht Britannia (HMY Britannia) Tours & Tickets
- Loch Lomond Tours & Tickets
- Gilmerton Cove Tours & Tickets
- Preston Mill & Phantassie Doocot Tours & Tickets
- Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh Tours & Tickets
- Georgian House Tours & Tickets
- Calton Hill Tours & Tickets
- Alnwick Castle Tours & Tickets
- National Museum of Scotland Tours & Tickets
- Museum of Edinburgh (Huntly House) Tours & Tickets
- Edinburgh Dungeon Tours & Tickets
- Scottish National Gallery Tours & Tickets
- Royal Scottish Academy Tours & Tickets
- Things to do in St. Andrews
- Things to do in Stirling
- Things to do in Glasgow
- Things to do in Newcastle-upon-Tyne
- Things to do in Inverness
- Things to do in Middlesbrough
- Things to do in Belfast
- Things to do in Manchester
- Things to do in Liverpool
- Things to do in Dublin
- Things to do in Birmingham
- Things to do in Cambridge
- Things to do in Northeast Scotland
- Things to do in North East England
- Things to do in The Scottish Highlands
Popular on Viator
- Statue of Liberty Tours and Tickets
- The White House Tours and Tickets
- Antelope Canyon Tours and Tickets
- Hoover Dam Tours and Tickets
- Alcatraz Tours and Tickets
- Stonehenge Tours and Tickets
- Auschwitz-Birkenau Memorial and Museum Tours and Tickets
- Beverly Hills Tours and Tickets
- Colosseum Tours and Tickets
- Washington Monument Tours and Tickets
- San Diego Zoo Tours and Tickets
- Space Needle Tours and Tickets
- Eiffel Tower Tours and Tickets
- Pearl Harbor National Memorial Tours and Tickets
- Empire State Building Tours and Tickets
- Art Institute of Chicago Tours and Tickets
- Aquarium of the Pacific Tours and Tickets
- Blue Lagoon Tours and Tickets
- Burj Khalifa Tours and Tickets
- Metropolitan Museum of Art (The Met) Tours and Tickets
Day Trips from Edinburgh
- Edinburgh to Loch Lomond
- Edinburgh to Loch Ness
- Edinburgh to England
- Edinburgh to Scotland
- Edinburgh to Glasgow
- Edinburgh to Arthur's Seat
- Edinburgh to Stirling Castle
- Edinburgh to Glencoe (Glen Coe)
- Edinburgh to Melrose Abbey
- Edinburgh to Ben Nevis
- Edinburgh to Inverness
- Edinburgh to Rosslyn Chapel
- Edinburgh to Doune Castle
- Edinburgh to St. Andrew’s Church (The Kirk)
- Edinburgh to Alnwick Castle
- Edinburgh to Fort William
- Edinburgh to Stirling
- Edinburgh to Newcastle-upon-Tyne
- Edinburgh to Aberfeldy
- Edinburgh to Forth Bridge