Oriental Pearl Tower (Dongfang Mingzhu Ta)
The Oriental Pearl Tower’s facade is impossible to miss during a Shanghai visit. There are plenty of excuses to get inside, too. Learn Shanghai’s history in the basement museum, dine with 360-degree views in the rotating restaurant, or see the views from the observation decks. Hop aboard a Huangpu River cruise or book a sightseeing tour that stops along The Bund for a photo op of the skyscraper’s famous views across the river.
Things to Know Before You Go
The Oriental Pearl Tower is a must-see for families with kids, photographers, and architecture buffs.
Try to see the tower from across the river and up close for the complete picture.
Most tours including the Oriental Pearl Tower provide hotel pickup and drop-off in Shanghai.
Don’t forget your camera: The view of the tower from across the river ranks as one of the most well-known images of Shanghai.
How to Get There
Situated in Pudong Park, the Oriental Pearl Tower is well-connected by public transportation. Take the metro line 2 to Lujiazui Station and leave through Exit 1, take one of several public buses to Lujiazui Huanlu Fenhelu Station, or for something different, ride through The Bund Sightseeing Tunnel to the Pudong side of the Huangpu River.
When to Get There
This Shanghai tower is visible from The Bund all the time, but the best views are at night when the spheres light up with colorful lights. Attractions within the tower are open daily throughout the year, though you should avoid visiting during Chinese national holidays when they’ll get very crowded.
Choose Your Height
The Oriental Pearl has five levels with visitor attractions. The tallest, at 1,152 feet (351 meters), is the Space capsule. The most popular area sits at 863 feet (263 meters), where you’ll find the main observation platform with its panoramic views of Shanghai city, while the 850-foot (259-meter) level has a circular glass-bottomed walkway. Thrill-seekers should try the VR roller coaster at 312 feet (95 meters), and a multimedia theater occupies 256-feet (78-meters) level.
- Things to do in Eastern China
- Things to do in Suzhou
- Things to do in Hangzhou
- Things to do in Nanjing
- Things to do in Huangshan
- Things to do in Qingdao
- Things to do in Qufu
- Things to do in Taipei
- Things to do in Jeonju
- Things to do in Busan
- Things to do in Incheon
- Things to do in Seoul
- Things to do in Okinawa
- Things to do in Nagasaki Prefecture
- Things to do in Fukuoka Prefecture
- Shanghai History Museum (Shanghai Lishi Bowuguan)
- Shanghai Ocean Aquarium (SOA)
- Jin Mao Tower
- Bund Sightseeing Tunnel
- Shanghai Tower (Shanghai Zhongxin Dasha)
- Fairmont Peace Hotel (Heping Fandian)
- Shanghai World Financial Center (SWFC)
- Nanjing Road (Nanjing Lu)
- Shanghai Port International Cruise Terminal
- Yuyuan Garden (Yu Garden)
- Shanghai Old City (Nanshi)
- Shanghai City God Temple (Chenghuang Miao)
- Shanghai Jewish Refugees Museum (Shanghai Youtai Nanmin Jinianguan)
- Shanghai Urban Planning Exhibition Hall (Shanghai Chengshi Guihua Zhanshi Guan)
- People’s Square (Renmin Guangchang)