Waigaoqiao Port Cruise Terminal
With so much to see and do in Shanghai, most cruise visitors opt to take a guided tour—whether group or private—of the city. Popular attractions include the iconic Bund, modern skyscrapers of Pudong, Yuyuan Garden, Jade Buddha Temple, and trendy spots such as Xin Tian Di and Tianzifang. Hop-on hop-off buses pass by many, if not all, of the above.
Alternatively, choose a tour tailored for interests such as food, shopping, art, culture, history, or nightlife. Farther afield, popular day trips from Shanghai include Suzhou and water towns such as Zhujiajiao.
Things to Know Before You Go
The Waigaoqiao Port Cruise Terminal is used for larger ships docking in Shanghai.
Cruise ship passengers who book a guided group tour may enjoy up to 15 days of visa-free travel; 144-hour and 24-hour visa-free programs may also be available.
Most shore excursions include port pickup and drop-off.
Shore excursions to attractions outside of Shanghai, such as Zhujiajiao or Suzhou, can take upwards of eight hours.
There are several cruise terminals in and around Shanghai; make sure you know which terminal your ship arrives and departs from.
How to Get to Shanghai From the Waigaoqiao Port Cruise Terminal
Waigaoqiao Port Cruise Terminal is located in Waigaoqiao in the Pudong New Area, about 19 miles (30 kilometers) from downtown Shanghai, and about 4 miles (6 kilometers) from Wusongkou International Cruise Terminal. Taxis are the best way to get to and from Waigaoqiao Port Cruise Terminal, although some shore excursions offer round-trip transportation.
The official language of Shanghai is Mandarin Chinese. English is not widely spoken, so it’s best to have your destination and cruise port written down in Chinese to show to taxi drivers. The official currency is the RMB (or yuan) and ATMs are plentiful. You can also exchange money at banks by showing your passport.
- Things to do in Eastern China
- Things to do in Suzhou
- Things to do in Hangzhou
- Things to do in Nanjing
- Things to do in Huangshan
- Things to do in Qingdao
- Things to do in Qufu
- Things to do in Taipei
- Things to do in Jeonju
- Things to do in Busan
- Things to do in Incheon
- Things to do in Seoul
- Things to do in Okinawa
- Things to do in Nagasaki Prefecture
- Things to do in Fukuoka Prefecture
- Shanghai Jewish Refugees Museum (Shanghai Youtai Nanmin Jinianguan)
- Shanghai Science and Technology Museum (SSTM)
- Wusongkou International Cruise Terminal
- Shanghai Port International Cruise Terminal
- Shanghai World Financial Center (SWFC)
- Jin Mao Tower
- Shanghai Tower (Shanghai Zhongxin Dasha)
- Shanghai Ocean Aquarium (SOA)
- Shanghai History Museum (Shanghai Lishi Bowuguan)
- Oriental Pearl Tower (Dongfang Mingzhu Ta)
- Duolun Road
- Bund Sightseeing Tunnel
- Fairmont Peace Hotel (Heping Fandian)
- Nanjing Road (Nanjing Lu)