The three main film studios-turned-theme parks in the Tabernas Desert are Mini Hollywood (Oasys), Western Leone, and Texas Hollywood (Fort Bravo), most of which can be visited during an organized tour from Almeria. Follow in the footsteps of actors such as Clint Eastwood, catch a cancan dance performance, or watch a Western show. Beyond the film sets, you can also explore the dramatic, 108-square-mile (280-square-kilometer) expanse of the Tabernas Desert on foot by following one of the many well-signposted hiking trails.
Things to Know Before You Go
Film and TV buffs won’t want to miss the Tabernas Desert, a famed backdrop for productions such as Indiana Jones and Game of Thrones.
Kids will enjoy the immersive appeal of the three Western theme parks: Oasys, Fort Bravo, and Western Leone.
The Tabernas region is famed for its olive oil production; pick up a bottle or two to take home with you.
The Tabernas Desert is not fully accessible for wheelchair users, nor are the three Western theme parks.
How to Get There
The Tabernas Desert is situated 15 miles (25 kilometers) north of Almeria and the closest village is Tabernas. Given the desert’s relative remoteness, it’s easiest to get there by car—head north on the A92, before following signposts for Tabernas Desert. Alternatively, visit the western theme parks during guided excursions which include round-trip transportation.
When to Get There
The Tabernas Desert is accessible year-round, but the best time to tackle the hiking trails in the higher altitude stretches is during the temperate spring months; meanwhile, the lower altitude portions are pleasant all year. The three Western theme parks are open most of the year, although they typically stay open longer during the peak spring and summer months. In winter, the parks typically open only on weekends.
- Bezienswaardigheden in Andalusië en Costa del Sol
- Bezienswaardigheden in Granada
- Bezienswaardigheden in Murcia
- Bezienswaardigheden in Málaga
- Bezienswaardigheden in Marbella
- Bezienswaardigheden in Benahavis
- Bezienswaardigheden in Córdoba
- Bezienswaardigheden in Alicante
- Bezienswaardigheden in Benidorm
- Bezienswaardigheden in Tarifa
- Bezienswaardigheden in Seville
- Bezienswaardigheden in Valencia
- Bezienswaardigheden in Fez
- Bezienswaardigheden in Region of Murcia
- Bezienswaardigheden in Costa del Sol