Lipscani is one of the most intact historic neighborhoods in the Romanian capital, making it a natural choice for walking tours. Guided tours typically lead participants by historical sights, such as the 15th-century ruins of the Old Princely Court (Curtea Veche) and the 19th-century Manuc’s Inn (Hanul lui Manuc). Because of the district’s high concentration of bars, clubs, and restaurants, it is also a popular destination for food tours and guided pub crawls.
Things to know before you go
- With its prewar architecture, historic sights, and abundance of bars, Lipscani is a must-do for both history buffs and party seekers.
- The best streets to explore are Strada Smardan and Strada Lipscani.
- Much of Lipscani is cobbled and pedestrianized so wear comfortable shoes.
How to get there
Take the metro (M2 line) to Universitate station. Lipscani is just a 5-minute walk from the station.
When to get there
Lipscani is most tranquil in the morning, with crowds and noise building throughout the day, and peaking after dark when the area’s boisterous nightlife kicks into gear. Go in summer when the weather is mild and you can take advantage of the area’s many outdoor terraces.
The Historic Inns of Lipscani
Lipscani is home to several centuries-old roadside inns, which were originally built to host traveling merchants and their caravans. These inns were all built in a similar style, and are typically centered around an interior courtyard. Two 19th-century examples still stand in Lipscani: The Linden Inn (Hanul cu Tei) off Strada Lipscani and Manuc’s Inn (Hanul lui Manuc) on Strada Franceza, both of which serve traditional Romanian food in rustic surrounds.
- Bezienswaardigheden in Walachije
- Bezienswaardigheden in Otopeni
- Bezienswaardigheden in Brașov
- Bezienswaardigheden in Veliko Tarnovo
- Bezienswaardigheden in Varna
- Bezienswaardigheden in Constanța
- Bezienswaardigheden in Sibiu
- Bezienswaardigheden in Sighișoara
- Bezienswaardigheden in Sofia
- Bezienswaardigheden in Istanboel
- Bezienswaardigheden in Boedapest
- Bezienswaardigheden in Izmir
- Bezienswaardigheden in Dubrovnik
- Bezienswaardigheden in Black Sea Coast
- Bezienswaardigheden in Zwarte-Zeekust
- Stavropoleos-klooster (Manastirea Stavropoleos)
- Pasajul Macca-Vilacrosse (Passage Macca-Villacrosse)
- Nationaal museum voor Roemeense geschiedenis (Muzeul National de Istorie a Romaniei)
- CEC Palace (Palatul CEC)
- Universitair paleis van Boekarest
- Choral Temple (Templul Coral)
- Patriarchale Kathedraal (Metropolitan Church)
- Joods Historisch Museum van Boekarest
- Grote Synagoge (Sinagoga Mare)
- Nationaal museum voor Roemeense kunst (Muzeul National de Arta al Romaniei)
- Roemeens Atheneum (Ateneul Roman)
- Victoriei Street (Calea Victoriei)
- Revolution Square (Piata Revolutiei)
- Parlementspaleis (Palatul Parlamentului)