The small Musee du Debarquement (Museum of the Landing) features the logistical feats of the Allied invasion of Normandy in the Second World War. Arromanches-les-Bains is an included stop on some D-Day tours of Normandy, which range from half-day outings to multi-day trips. Generally, the village is combined with other wartime attractions, such as the D-Day beaches, the Mémorial de Caen, and cemeteries. Some general-interest tours also feature Arromanches-les-Bains, along with top area destinations such as Mont Saint Michel and St Malo.
Things to know before you go
- This is a great destination for beach lovers, as the historic village is lined with gorgeous, sandy coastline.
- The Musee du Debarquement is wheelchair and stroller accessible.
- If you’re planning to check out the caissons visible at low tide, plan to bring a pair of shoes that are well suited to walking on wet sand.
How to get there
The town of Arromanches-les-Bains is located on the Normandy coast, roughly 6 miles (10 kilometers) northeast of Bayeux. To reach the town using public transit, first travel to Bayeux. Train service is available from Paris (2 hours, 30 minutes) and Caen (30 minutes). Limited bus service is available between Bayeux and Arromanches-les-Bains.
When to get there
The most popular time to visit Normandy is during the warm months from June through August. On the anniversary of D-Day in early June, memorial events are held across the region. In July, Arromanches-les-Bains hosts a classical music festival, and there’s a flea market in July and August. At the end of July, there’s a Rain Festival in Arromanches-les-Bains, with a range of dance performances.
Things to Do in Arromanches-les-Bains
While the Second World War sites are the main draw here, there’s plenty to see and do in this pretty seaside village. Outdoor activities include boating, scuba diving, and fishing, and there’s a walking trail along the coastal cliffs. With Neo-Romanesque architecture, the Church of Saint Pierre is an important local landmark that’s dedicated to the patron saint of fishermen.
- Mulberry Harbor
- Park van La Colline aux Oiseaux (Parc de La Colline aux Oiseaux)
- Herdenkingsmuseum van Caen (Mémorial de Caen)
- Abbaye aux Hommes
- Kasteel van Caen (Château de Caen)
- Museum van Normandië (Musée de Normandie)
- Museum voor Schone Kunsten van Caen (Musée des Beaux-Arts de Caen)
- Abbaye aux Dames
- Pegasus Memorial Museum (Pegasus-brug)
- Ranville Oorlogsbegraafplaats
- Merville Batterij (Batterie de Merville)
- Jurques Zoo (Zoo de Jurques)