Centraal Zwitserland bezienswaardigheden
Mount Rigi is a mountain in central Switzerland, bordering Lucerne, and part of the Swiss Alps. It's also known as the "Queen of the Mountains.” Rigi offers stunning panoramic views and is famous for its beautiful sunrises. Nowadays, the mountain is easily accessible by public transportation. It offers many winter and summer excursions such as skiing, sledding, or hiking.
It has been popular with adventurous, romantic travellers for quite some time (before the advent of public transportation), including Mark Twain more than a century ago. The Rigi has been immortalized through paintings by JMW Turner, including "The Blue Rigi, Lake of Lucerne, Sunrise".
Mount Pilatus rises high above the city of Lucerne giving wonderful views of Lake Lucerne and the Swiss Alps. At 6,992 ft (2,132 m) high, it has 2 cable cars, the world's steepest cog-railway, hotels, restaurants and lots of outdoor activities. People come here to toboggan, sledge, mountain bike and for the excellent hiking. There is a Rope Park for treetop adventures.
Rumor has it that the mountain is named after Pontius Pilate who they say was thrown into a nearby lake and haunts the mountain. More likely is that the name comes from the Latin word for cloud-covered, pileatus. It was made famous by the composer Richard Wagner in the 19th century and Britain's Queen Victoria rode up here on horseback.
Bezienswaardigheden in de omgeving van Centraal Zwitserland
- Bezienswaardigheden in Luzern
- Bezienswaardigheden in Zwitserse Alpen
- Bezienswaardigheden in Lake Geneva (WI) / Meer van Genève
- Bezienswaardigheden in Elzas
- Bezienswaardigheden in Zürich
- Bezienswaardigheden in Bazel
- Bezienswaardigheden in Davos
- Bezienswaardigheden in Montreux
- Bezienswaardigheden in Comomeer
- Bezienswaardigheden in Lombardije
- Bezienswaardigheden in Rhône-Alpes
- Bezienswaardigheden in Bourgondië en Dijon
- Bezienswaardigheden in Piemonte en Ligurië
- Bezienswaardigheden in Beieren
- Bezienswaardigheden in Veneto