Simple but profoundly moving, the open-air John F. Kennedy Memorial Plaza focuses on the granite slab bearing the assassinated president’s name etched in gold.The granite memorial is surrounded by soaring concrete walls, creating a roofless space for private contemplation and reflection, free from outside distractions.
The Memorial was dedicated in June 1970, and was envisioned by architect Philip Johnson as an open tomb or cenotaph. The plain white walls appear to be free-floating, capturing the feeling of loss felt around the world following Kennedy’s assassination in Dallas on November 22, 1963.
By day, the floating white walls are reflected on the monument’s gilt lettering. At night, the monument is a beautifully floodlit city landmark.
The Sixth Floor Museum chronicles the events leading to the assassination of President Kennedy in November 1963.
It’s a moving and eerie experience to visit the museum, taking up the very spot Lee Harvey Oswald fired the shots that perhaps killed the president.
Film, photographs, artifacts and exhibits examine the event and the ensuing investigations.
Oral history and eyewitness accounts form an important part of the museum’s collection, and you can take an audio walking tour of the area.
The famous roadhouse-style barbeque steak, brisket and ribs are only part of the story at Billy Bob’s Texas Honky Tonk, dubbed the world’s largest honky tonk.
More than 6,000 people can squeeze into Billy Bob’s to watch concerts, hit the dance floor, dine at the restaurant, play the casino and catch the live bull-riding shows.
There’s a gift shop, live bulls ridden by real cowboys, bucking-bull photos, boot-scootin’ dance instruction and arcade games.
Billy Bob’s is also a renowned venue for country music stars, from Garth Brooks to Merle Haggard. The club’s won the Country Music Association’s Venue of the Year award eight times.
Bezienswaardigheden in de omgeving van Dallas
- Bezienswaardigheden in Texas
- Bezienswaardigheden in Houston
- Bezienswaardigheden in San Antonio
- Bezienswaardigheden in Galveston
- Bezienswaardigheden in Branson
- Bezienswaardigheden in New Orleans
- Bezienswaardigheden in South Padre Island
- Bezienswaardigheden in Monterrey
- Bezienswaardigheden in Orange Beach
- Bezienswaardigheden in Albuquerque
- Bezienswaardigheden in Montgomery
- Bezienswaardigheden in Nashville
- Bezienswaardigheden in Louisiana
- Bezienswaardigheden in Missouri
- Bezienswaardigheden in New Mexico