Dubliners move quickly through the General Post Office, a historic landmark and functioning post office. Stop by to mail some postcards or take a look at the original Declaration of Independence displayed on its walls or the bullet holes that can still be seen. Explore the on-site history center with a self-guided tour to see 1916 artifacts. One of the main attractions in Dublin, the General Post Office is a feature of many city tours including the hop-on hop-off bus tours and city walking tours.
Things to Know Before You Go
- The General Post office is a must-see attraction for history buffs and families with kids seeking an educational experience.
- Remember that the landmark is a functioning post office so will be busy with locals going about their business; try to avoid visiting during the lunch hour rush.
- Audio guides for the history center are available in several languages.
- The GPO and history center are wheelchair accessible.
- Discounted tickets for the visitor center are available by pre-booking online.
How to Get There
The General Post Office is located in the heart of Dublin 1, on O’Connell Street. It is a short walk from the Abbey Street stop on the Red Line of the Luas tram. From Grafton Street, the GPO is a 10-minute walk across the River Liffey via the O’Connell Street Bridge.
When to Get There
The GPO Visitor Center is open daily, including weekends, with the exception of major holidays. Opening hours are shorter on weekends and bank holidays. Visitors interested in a guided tour may want to plan their visit around once-daily tours; check the GPO website to confirm times. To avoid crowds, visit on a weekday vs. a Saturday or Sunday.
Learn About Irish History Continue to learn about Irish history at other landmarks across Dublin including the Kilmainham Gaol, City Hall, and Glasnevin Cemetery.
- Bezienswaardigheden in Belfast
- Bezienswaardigheden in Limerick
- Bezienswaardigheden in Galway
- Bezienswaardigheden in Shannon
- Bezienswaardigheden in Liverpool
- Bezienswaardigheden in Cork
- Bezienswaardigheden in Cobh
- Bezienswaardigheden in Killarney
- Bezienswaardigheden in Manchester
- Bezienswaardigheden in Kenmare
- Bezienswaardigheden in Cardiff
- Bezienswaardigheden in Ring of Kerry
- Bezienswaardigheden in West-Ierland
- Bezienswaardigheden in Noord-Engeland
- Bezienswaardigheden in Zuidwest-Ierland
- Dublin O'Connell Street
- GPO Witness History Visitor Center
- Cruisehaven van Dublin
- James Joyce Center
- Dublin Writers Museum
- O'Connell Bridge
- Dublin City Gallery de Hugh Lane
- Het National Wax Museum Plus
- Dublin Custom House
- Irish Rock 'n' Roll Museum Experience
- Irish Whiskey Museum
- Rivier Liffey
- Hongersnood Memorial
- Trinity College Dublin