Set in an 1840s brick townhouse on Dominick Street, the Galway Arts Centre is one of the city’s principal art establishments. The townhouse was once famously home to Lady Augusta Gregory, patron of the arts and co-founder of the Abbey Theatre in Dublin. In addition to art exhibitions, photography classes, and literary readings, this landmark is also home of the Galway Youth Theatre and a popular venue for live music.
Things to Know Before You Go
- The Galway Arts Centre is a must-see attraction for travelers that are passionate about visual art, writing, photography, and music.
- Educational opportunities vary from spoken word workshops to fiction writing; check the centre’s website for up-to-date information on classes.
- The centre hosts the annual Cuirt International Festival of Literature with seven days of events every April.
How to Get There
The Galway Arts Centre is located in the heart of Galway City at 47 Dominick Street. It is within walking distance of several other top city landmarks including Eyre Square and the Galway City Museum. To reach the centre via public transportation, take the local bus to the Spanish Arch stop and continue on foot.
When to Get There
Open from Monday through Saturday, the Galway Arts Centre is free and open to the public. The centre is particularly busy in April for the Cuirt International Festival of Literature, but the calendar is full of workshops and events year-round. To avoid crowds, visit on a weekday vs. a Saturday.
Sign up for a Master Class In addition to classes and workshops that are held over several weeks and mainly designed for local residents, the Galway Arts Centre also offers one-off classes. During a visit to Galway sign up for a class to learn about creative writing, improv, mosaics, or painting.
- Bezienswaardigheden in West-Ierland
- Bezienswaardigheden in Shannon
- Bezienswaardigheden in Limerick
- Bezienswaardigheden in Killarney
- Bezienswaardigheden in Dingle
- Bezienswaardigheden in Cork
- Bezienswaardigheden in Kenmare
- Bezienswaardigheden in Cobh
- Bezienswaardigheden in Dublin
- Bezienswaardigheden in Belfast
- Bezienswaardigheden in Liverpool
- Bezienswaardigheden in Glasgow
- Bezienswaardigheden in Cardiff
- Bezienswaardigheden in Zuidwest-Ierland
- Bezienswaardigheden in West Midlands