Several times throughout the day, the domed ceiling lights up with celestial imagery with explanations for some of the great myths and mysteries about space. Almost 600 visitors can be seated during each show. The language of show presentations alternates, so check ahead to find out the latest times for English programs. For more avid sky gazers, the planetarium conducts a free lecture series covering everything from stellar classification to spectroscopy.
Things to Know Before You Go
- The Birla Planetarium is a must-visit for families and astronomy fans.
- Photography is allowed, except during shows.
- The planetarium is wheelchair accessible.
How to Get There
The MP Birla Planetarium is located on the southeastern edge of the Maidan in central Kolkata and is well connected to elsewhere in the city by road and public transportation. It's about a 10-minute walk from the Rabindra Sadan metro station and seven minutes on foot from the Maidan station.
When to Get There
The planetarium is open every day, except for the first Thursday of the month. There are two English-languageg shows (one in the afternoon and one in the evening; exact timings are on the planetarium's website). If you aren't able to make a show, you can still check out the exhibition gallery and the giftshop, both of which are open daily. Call ahead to find out about the timings of lectures and other special events.
Maidan-area Attractions Many visitors to the planetarium end up sticking around the Maidan area to check out other attractions inside and around the park. Along with playgrounds, gardens, and large swathes of grass, you'll find the Victoria Memorial and the Gothic Revival-style St. Paul's Cathedral right inside the park, and if you’re on a tour of Kolkata that includes a visit to the planetarium, time in the Maidan will likely also be on the itinerary.
- Bezienswaardigheden in West-Bengalen
- Bezienswaardigheden in Dhaka
- Bezienswaardigheden in Bhubaneswar
- Bezienswaardigheden in Paro
- Bezienswaardigheden in Thimphu
- Bezienswaardigheden in Varanasi
- Bezienswaardigheden in Kathmandu
- Bezienswaardigheden in Pokhara
- Bezienswaardigheden in Lhasa
- Bezienswaardigheden in Odisha
- Bezienswaardigheden in Tibet
- Bezienswaardigheden in Mandalay
- Bezienswaardigheden in Uttar Pradesh
- Bezienswaardigheden in Northern Thailand
- Victoria Memorial Hall
- St Paul's Kathedraal
- Chowringhee (Chourangi)
- Indiaas museum
- Moederhuis van de Missionaries of Charity
- Kalighat Kali-tempel
- Eden Gardens
- College Street
- Nakhoda-moskee (Nakhoda Masjid)
- Marmeren paleis
- Tagore's House (Jorasanko Thakur Bari)
- Pareshnath Jain-tempel (Parasnath Jain-tempel)