Melrose Place became famous thanks to the hit 1990s soap opera of the same name. Today, it's a popular place for LA tastemakers to hunt for locally made accessories, conversation art pieces, vintage clothing, and designer duds. More than 300 boutiques line the street, accented by colorful murals and city-sanctioned graffiti art that make Melrose a popular backdrop for urban photoshoots and selfies. Most Los Angeles sightseeing tours include a drive-by here to check out the stylish scene.
Things to know before you go
- Melrose Avenue is a must-visit for fashionistas and antique collectors.
- Stores have a wide variety of price ranges, from bargain basement to luxury, so shop around to find pieces that match your budget.
- Be sure to bring your camera for street art photo opportunities.
- Wear comfortable shoes if you plan to stroll the whole length of Melrose Avenue’s shopping zone.
How to get there
Melrose Avenue stretches 22 blocks from Santa Monica Boulevard to Lucille Avenue. Street parking is available in the surrounding neighborhood; if you prefer not to tackle Los Angeles traffic, Melrose is also a stop on most hop-on hop-off bus tours.
When to get there
Most shops on Melrose Avenue keep typical business hours. Go on a Sunday to browse antiques and handmade goods at the weekly Melrose Trading Post, an open-air market located in the parking lot of Fairfax High School.
Top Shopping Streets in Los Angeles
Shopping is a treasured local pastime in Los Angeles, one of the world’s undisputed fashion capitals. Celebrity stylists and visitors with deep pockets flock to upscale enclaves like Rodeo Drive and the 3rd Street Promenade, while bargain hunters opt for the bazaar-like Santee Alley or Camarillo Premium Outlets. Mega-malls like The Grove and South Coast Plaza boast hundreds of storefronts for 1-stop shopping alongside entertainment and dining.
- Bezienswaardigheden in Californië
- Bezienswaardigheden in Santa Monica
- Bezienswaardigheden in Long Beach
- Bezienswaardigheden in Anaheim en Buena Park
- Bezienswaardigheden in Santa Barbara
- Bezienswaardigheden in La Jolla
- Bezienswaardigheden in Palm Springs
- Bezienswaardigheden in San Diego
- Bezienswaardigheden in Pismo Beach
- Bezienswaardigheden in San Luis Obispo
- Bezienswaardigheden in Paso Robles
- Bezienswaardigheden in Las Vegas
- Bezienswaardigheden in Sausalito
- Bezienswaardigheden in Nevada
- Bezienswaardigheden in Arizona
- Melrose Trading Post
- Television City
- Los Angeles Museum of the Holocaust (LAMOTH)
- Los Angeles de Grove
- Los Angeles Original Farmers Market
- La Brea-teerputten
- Laugh Factory Hollywood
- Comedy Store
- Beverly Center
- Stahl House
- Los Angeles County Museum of Art (LACMA)
- Pacific Design Center (PDC)
- Petersen Automotive Museum
- Craft Contemporary
- Madame Tussauds Hollywood