The Plaza Mayor is Palma’s true epicenter. Others might claim the geographic center of the city to be located elsewhere, but it is from this large plaza that all the excitement of old-town Palma generates. There’s a saying in Palma that “all roads lead to Plaza Mayor” and if you’re taking a stroll through old town, you’ll sure find this to be true.
Enter the plaza and the first thing you’ll notice is its imposing size. The enormous square is surrounded by old Spanish buildings of the 14th century and once housed the offices of the Spanish inquisition. Today, this area is known as the artist’s quarter, so you’re bound to spot a few galleries highlighting some of the local talent. In addition, a weekly market is held in the square, and a variety of notable goods can be purchased from colorful vendors here.
The lovely old town clustered around Sa Seu, the 13th century Cathedral, is a delight to wander through, exploring narrow winding streets, sitting in outdoor cafes and discovering the history of this diverse city poised between Europe and Africa, with traces remaining of its Roman, Christian and Muslim periods of rule. And of course there are the beaches and yacht harbors and lovely clear water for swimming.
Cruise ships dock in the commercial port some way from town and it is not a pleasant walk. Most lines will provide a shuttle service, otherwise taxis are easily found – head to the Cathedral and begin exploring the town from there. Within the town center everything you will want to see is within walking distance.
- Bezienswaardigheden in De Balearen
- Bezienswaardigheden in Ibiza
- Bezienswaardigheden in Barcelona
- Bezienswaardigheden in Tarragona
- Bezienswaardigheden in Valencia
- Bezienswaardigheden in Benidorm
- Bezienswaardigheden in Gerona
- Bezienswaardigheden in Alicante
- Bezienswaardigheden in Algiers
- Bezienswaardigheden in Murcia
- Bezienswaardigheden in Zaragoza
- Bezienswaardigheden in Toulouse
- Bezienswaardigheden in Marseille
- Bezienswaardigheden in Catalonië
- Bezienswaardigheden in Costa Blanca