Located in the City Center neighborhood, the Holocaust Memorial is the brainchild of several Holocaust survivors, who, in 1984, came together as the nonprofit Holocaust Memorial Committee. Architect Kenneth Treister was selected to design the memorial, and its cast bronze Sculpture of Love and Anguish—notable for its distinctive, outstretched arm—opened in 1990.
This free attraction is open daily, and you can purchase a brochure to make the most of a self-guided tour. This centrally-located sight is steps from the Miami Beach Convention Center, and just a short walk from the shopping promenade on Lincoln Road. For a more relaxing outing, add a visit to the Miami Beach Botanical Garden; it's a near-perfect spot for a rejuvenating stroll.
Things to know before you go
- The memorial is wheelchair-accessible, and visitors may request American sign language interpretation services.
- Since the memorial is a space for reflection, cell phone use and other disruptive behavior are discouraged.
- You can download the memorial smartphone app, free of charge, for iOS and Android devices.
- You should plan to spend at least one hour at the memorial.
How to get there
The Holocaust Memorial is located on Meridian Avenue in Miami Beach, and the most convenient option is to drive. From points north, take I-95 South to I-195 East. From points south, take I-95 north to I-395-East. Exit for Alton Road. You can find ample street parking on Meridian, next to Miami Beach City Hall. Hop-on hop-off tours also typically stop nearby.
When to get there
You can visit this free attraction any day of the week, 365 days a year. The memorial opens in the morning and typically closes at sunset. The memorial is often busier over the weekend and may be crowded on Holocaust Remembrance Day (Yom Hashoah), which falls in April.
- Bezienswaardigheden in Florida
- Bezienswaardigheden in Fort Lauderdale
- Bezienswaardigheden in Boca Raton
- Bezienswaardigheden in Everglades National Park
- Bezienswaardigheden in West Palm Beach
- Bezienswaardigheden in Napels
- Bezienswaardigheden in Freeport
- Bezienswaardigheden in Fort Myers
- Bezienswaardigheden in Key West
- Bezienswaardigheden in Cocoa Beach
- Bezienswaardigheden in Sarasota
- Bezienswaardigheden in Cape Canaveral
- Bezienswaardigheden in Nassau
- Bezienswaardigheden in Grand Bahama
- Bezienswaardigheden in New Providence
- Botanische tuin van Miami Beach
- New World Center
- Bass Museum of Art
- World Erotic Art Museum (WEAM)
- Miami Washington Avenue
- Art Deco historische wijk
- Mango's Tropical Café
- Miami Beach
- Zuid strand
- South Pointe Park
- Fisher Island
- Miami Cruise Port (PortMiami)
- Miami Children's Museum
- Pérez Art Museum Miami (PAMM)