You can easily explore the approximately 16 square blocks of Monterrey’s Old Town in just one day. Look out for minimalist coffee shops, sleek boutiques, and a glut of dive bars as you stroll the cobbled, mural-lined streets of the neighborhood. Food fans won’t want to miss Barrio Antiguo’s two self-contained culinary hotspots—the glass-fronted Mercado Barrio Antiguo on Padre Mier and the multicolored, multiuse building on the corner of Morelos and Mina streets—while party lovers should head to Barrio Antiguo's "zócalo" for larger nightclubs.
Things to Know Before You Go
Barrio Antiguo is one of the top nightlife destinations in Monterrey.
The summer months in Monterrey can be swelteringly hot, so avoid wandering around Barrio Antiguo in the afternoon.
Many cafés, eateries, and attractions in Barrio Antiguo are closed on Mondays.
Barrio Antiguo’s main thoroughfares are wheelchair accessible, but much of the neighborhood has narrow, uneven sidewalks and steep curbs.
How to Get There
Barrio Antiguo is situated east of Monterrey’s Macroplaza and just below the scenic Paseo Santa Lucía Riverwalk. While most visitors find it easiest to arrive on foot or via rideshare from most central points in the city, you can also take the Monterrey Metro (Metrorrey). Depart at the General I. Zaragoza station.
When to Get There
Monterrey is known for dry desert heat, so it’s best to visit outside of the sweltering summer months or avoid walking around in the early afternoon. To enjoy the area by day, visit on a Sunday, when a flea market takes over the neighborhood. However, Barrio Antiguo is best known for its nightlife—stop by on Friday or Saturday night to see it at its vibrant best.
What to Do in Monterrey
Barrio Antiguo is arguably Monterrey’s coolest neighborhood, but the city is still home to other notable attractions. Escape the industrial downtown—and learn about its origins—in Fundidora Park, a vast green space best known for the Horno 3 Museum, summer music festivals, and a year-round indoor ice rink. Then, look for black bears and other wildlife in the nearby Chipinque Eco Park.
- Bezienswaardigheden in South Padre Island
- Bezienswaardigheden in San Antonio
- Bezienswaardigheden in Houston
- Bezienswaardigheden in Galveston
- Bezienswaardigheden in Mexico-stad
- Bezienswaardigheden in Puerto Vallarta
- Bezienswaardigheden in Taxco
- Bezienswaardigheden in Dallas
- Bezienswaardigheden in Acapulco
- Bezienswaardigheden in San Jose del Cabo
- Bezienswaardigheden in Texas
- Bezienswaardigheden in Jalisco
- Bezienswaardigheden in Centraal-Mexico
- Bezienswaardigheden in Guerrero
- Macroplaza (La Gran Plaza)
- St. Lucia Riverwalk (Paseo Santa Lucia)
- Fundidora Park
- Avenida Morelos
- Glasmuseum (Museo del Vidrio)
- Mexican Baseball Hall of Fame (Salón de la Fama)
- Sesamo Park Plaza (Parque Plaza Sesamo)
- Plaza Fiesta San Agustin
- Mirador del Obispado (uitkijkpunt van de bisschop)
- Metropolitan Cathedral (Catedral Metropolitana)
- Brouwerij Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma (Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma)
- Stadhuis van Monterrey (Palacio Municipal)
- Staatsmuseum van populaire culturen (Museo Estatal de Culturas Populares)
- Ecologisch park Chipinque (Parque Ecológico Chipinque)
- Villa de Santiago