Although construction started in 1626, the cathedral took over 100 years to build. Now, it’s a popular landmark in Monterrey, one that’s easy to admire both inside and out as an independent visitor. Many walking tours of the city also pass by the cathedral and can provide commentary on the building and its history that you wouldn’t otherwise get. Such tours typically stop at other attractions such as the nearby Macroplaza, Obispado viewpoint, and more.
Things to Know Before You Go
It’s free to access the Metropolitan Cathedral in Monterrey.
Monterrey can get very hot in the sweltering summer months and the cool cathedral interior offers a pleasant respite from the heat.
The Metropolitan Cathedral is accessible for wheelchair users, as there’s typically a ramp at the front entrance.
How to Get There
The Metropolitan Cathedral is situated at the south end of the Monterrey Macroplaza, in the heart of the downtown. From most central parts of the city, it’s easy to reach on foot. However, it’s equally convenient to arrive by private vehicle, especially during the sweltering summer months in Monterrey.
When to Get There
The Metropolitan Cathedral in Monterrey is accessible year-round, typically from the early morning until the early evening. Entrance is always free, and arriving for one of the religious services can be a good way to enjoy a different side to the cathedral, beyond the art and architecture.
Other Monterrey Attractions
There’s plenty to do in Monterrey, an often overlooked city in the north of Mexico. After visiting the cathedral, take in the other buildings on and around the long Macroplaza, a pedestrianized strip of land in the city’s downtown. Just next door to the cathedral, you’ll find the MARCO (Museo de Arte Contemporáneo de Monterrey), a popular art museum, while at the far end of the plaza there’s an ornate government building, as well as Neptune’s Fountain.
- Bezienswaardigheden in South Padre Island
- Bezienswaardigheden in San Antonio
- Bezienswaardigheden in Houston
- Bezienswaardigheden in Galveston
- Bezienswaardigheden in Mexico-stad
- Bezienswaardigheden in Puerto Vallarta
- Bezienswaardigheden in Taxco
- Bezienswaardigheden in Dallas
- Bezienswaardigheden in Acapulco
- Bezienswaardigheden in San Jose del Cabo
- Bezienswaardigheden in Texas
- Bezienswaardigheden in Jalisco
- Bezienswaardigheden in Centraal-Mexico
- Bezienswaardigheden in Guerrero
- Mexican Baseball Hall of Fame (Salón de la Fama)
- Glasmuseum (Museo del Vidrio)
- Avenida Morelos
- St. Lucia Riverwalk (Paseo Santa Lucia)
- Brouwerij Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma (Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma)
- Fundidora Park
- Staatsmuseum van populaire culturen (Museo Estatal de Culturas Populares)
- Stadhuis van Monterrey (Palacio Municipal)
- Sesamo Park Plaza (Parque Plaza Sesamo)
- Macroplaza (La Gran Plaza)
- Barrio Antiguo (oude stad)
- Mirador del Obispado (uitkijkpunt van de bisschop)
- Ecologisch park Chipinque (Parque Ecológico Chipinque)
- Plaza Fiesta San Agustin
- Villa de Santiago