Built by British Loyalists who had just returned from North Carolina, the buildings were inspired by those in the US state’s old capital city. Located behind the Supreme Court building, the Garden of Remembrance honors Bahamian soldiers who lost their lives. The government center is within walking distance from the main cruise ship ports, as well as numerous shops and restaurants, making it a perfect stop to learn a bit of history while touring the town. Guided tours of Nassau typically pass through Parliament Square.
Things to know before you go
- The square is a must-see for history buffs and architecture lovers.
- The pink building in the center is the Senate; the building on the right is the House of Assembly, where both houses meet; and the building on the left is the office of the opposition leader.
- The square is located a few blocks from Nassau’s popular Straw Market.
How to get there
Parliament Square is located on Bay Street across from Rawson Square and is within walking distance from many points in downtown Nassau. It’s also easily reachable by foot from the cruise ship terminal. From the Atlantis, it’s about a 15-minute drive. Guided tours typically provide round-trip transportation, but you can also rent scooters and all-terrain vehicles to get around on your own.
When to get there
When quarterly sessions begin at the House of Assembly—typically in January, April, July, and October—you can spot the judges wearing traditional British wigs and robes walking around the square. You can also sit in the gallery and watch the proceedings when the sessions are in progress. Overall, expect to encounter the biggest crowds when cruise ships are docked.
Pirates of Nassau
Located within easy walking distance of Parliament Square, the Pirates of Nassau museum offers a look at a different historical side to Nassau—when it was an 18th-century pirate base. The attraction includes artifacts, as well as replica ships from the Golden Age of Piracy, which took place from 1690 to 1720.
- Bezienswaardigheden in New Providence
- Bezienswaardigheden in Freeport
- Bezienswaardigheden in Miami
- Bezienswaardigheden in Fort Lauderdale
- Bezienswaardigheden in Boca Raton
- Bezienswaardigheden in West Palm Beach
- Bezienswaardigheden in Everglades National Park
- Bezienswaardigheden in Key West
- Bezienswaardigheden in Napels
- Bezienswaardigheden in Cocoa Beach
- Bezienswaardigheden in Fort Myers
- Bezienswaardigheden in Cape Canaveral
- Bezienswaardigheden in Sarasota
- Bezienswaardigheden in Grand Bahama
- Bezienswaardigheden in Florida
- Junkanoo Expo Museum
- Cruisehaven van Nassau
- Straw Market
- Queen's Staircase
- Christ Church Cathedral
- Fort Fincastle
- Erfgoedmuseum van de Bahama's
- Piraten van Nassau
- Nationale kunstgalerie van de Bahama's (NAGB)
- Openbare bibliotheek en museum van Nassau
- Rose Island
- Marine Habitat bij Atlantis
- Aquaventure op Atlantis Paradise Island
- Atlantis, Paradise Island
- Arawak Cay