2 hours (Approx.)
Offered in: English
The Sassi di Matera are one of the most fascinating sights in southern Italy, but these ancient cave dwellings can be difficult to interpret on your own. With this guided tour, see the most interesting cave homes and rupestrian churches in the cliffside town in just hours and enjoy insights into their history and significance from your guide. Stroll through the most picturesque squares in the historic center to snap photos.
- A time-saving two-hour tour of Matera's top cave dwellings and churches
- Gain a deeper understanding of this historic town with guide commentary
- Admire the Chiesa dello Spirito Santo, dug completely out of the rock
- Headsets to follow the guide's explanations, even at the busiest sights
Saved to wishlist!
Disposable radio guides and earphones
Entrance into the typically furnished cave house
Entrance into the excavated rock crypt, on three levels
Departure & Return
Via Lucana, 185, 75100 Matera MT, Italy
Appointment at the Infopoint located in via lucana 185.
Piazza Vittorio Veneto, 75100 Matera MT, Italy
Piazza Giovanni Pascoli, 75100 Matera MT, Italy
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Infants must sit on laps
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 30 travelers
- OPERATED BY SUD PROMOTION S.R.L.
You can cancel up to 24 hours in advance of the experience for a full refund.
- For a full refund, you must cancel at least 24 hours before the experience’s start time.
- If you cancel less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time, the amount you paid will not be refunded.
- Any changes made less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- Cut-off times are based on the experience’s local time.
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund.
Learn more about cancellations.
Frequently Asked Questions
The answers provided below are based on answers previously given by the tour provider to customers’ questions.
What is the policy on face masks and attendee health during Guided tour of the Sassi of Matera?
A:The policies on face masks and attendee health are:
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
What is the policy on sanitization during Guided tour of the Sassi of Matera?
A:The policies on sanitization are:
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
What is the social distancing policy during Guided tour of the Sassi of Matera?
A:The policy on social distancing is:
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
What measures are being taken to ensure staff health & safety during Guided tour of the Sassi of Matera?
A:The policy on staff health & safety is:
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
Compare Similar Experiences
Guided tour of the Sassi of Matera
1 hour 50 minutes
3 hours 15 minutes
1 hour 55 minutes
1 hour 15 minutes
Explore Similar Things to Do
Archaeology ToursWalking ToursHistorical ToursWalking & Biking ToursCultural & Theme ToursTours & SightseeingMateraArchaeology Tours - BariWalking Tours - BariHistorical Tours - BariArchaeology Tours - Alberobello & LocorotondoWalking Tours - Alberobello & LocorotondoHistorical Tours - Alberobello & LocorotondoArchaeology Tours - SalernoWalking Tours - SalernoHistorical Tours - SalernoCategory