Don’t worry—here are some similar options
- The wildlife refuges and colonial history of Negombo on a private tour
- Take a boat ride down the Dutch canal dating back to Sri Lanka's colonial era
- Search for water birds like egrets, terns, gullls, and more in a local lagoon
- Explore the diverse wildlife of Muthurajawela Wetland
- Great trip for bird watchers and nature lovers
Departure & Return
Hmm...we can’t seem to find this place. Please check the spelling, or choose another location.
After booking, the operator will contact you about pickup time.
What To Expect
Start your Negombo excursion with a boat ride on the Dutch canal. This key transportation artery, first built by the Dutch colonial administration runs for more than 96 kilometers (60 miles) through the Negombo area. You’ll soon progress into a lagoon fed by several local rivers and linked to the sea by a channel to the north. The lagoon is known for its mangrove swamps, so make sure to keep your eyes peeled for the water birds like herons, cormorants, terns, gulls, and egrets that call the area home.
Leave the lagoon behind and proceed into the Elakanda Canal, which provides access to the Muthurajawela Wetland. This protected wildlife area is known for harboring a wide range of plant and animal life, including a diverse collection of migratory birds. It’s an area of increasing significance given the rapid industrial development of the surrounding countryside. You’ll finish your trip around 12:30pm and receive a ride back to your Negombo-area hotel, arriving around 2:30pm.
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- Not wheelchair accessible
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Infant seats are not available
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 4 travelers
- OPERATED BY Beyond Escapes
- For a full refund, you must cancel at least 24 hours before the experience’s start time.
- If you cancel less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time, the amount you paid will not be refunded.
- Any changes made less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- Cut-off times are based on the experience’s local time.
Learn more about cancellations.